Production, Plaquemine, Louisiana, USA
The maintenance leader has the overall responsibility for the site maintenance and mechanical integrity programs and providing leadership to maintain and improve reliability and optimize cost. The role has approximately 6 direct reports and responsibility for both embedded and outside contractors on site. This position will assist with setting objectives for the maintenance department and ensuring these objectives support the overall safety, quality, and productivity goals for the plant. Setting and adhering to annual maintenance budgets is also expected. The Maintenance Leader is expected to lead, guide, coach, and hold his team responsible for performance in safety, quality, and productivity.
Essential Job Functions
• Abides by all safety procedures and practices applicable to location and position; participates in appropriate safety training, demonstrated commitment to and support of EHS principles and values; champions safety as necessary.
• Direct manager of TSM Maintenance personnel and main contact for contractor work force.
• Drives Key Performance Metrics related to maintenance productivity and effectiveness, and continuous improvement. Prepares and presents related reports as needed.
• Serve as a senior member of the Site Leadership Team
• Coordinate with other supporting and downstream departments (Operations, Quality, EHS, Logistics, Planning, Packaging, etc.)
• Create, maintain, and improve standard processes
• Coordinate work assignments for direct reports and ensure adequate work assignments for all maintenance employees
• Participate in planning meetings to evaluate future specs for process, staffing and equipment requirements as needed
• Establish maintenance priorities, and revises schedules accordingly
• Maintain a high level of employee morale within the department. Address employee complaints and resolve concerns
• Responsible for two-way communication with management and employees.
• Develop, manage, and implement procedures and work instructions for all maintenance related activities
• Participates in the interviewing and hiring process
• Ensures adequate training of maintenance staff
• Oversee maintenance employees’ compliance to organization’s policies and practices
• Lead continuous improvement activities within the maintenance department
• Responsible for all facilities, buildings, and utilities on site.
• Mentors, coaches, motivates, establishes goals, and drives performance improvement within the Maintenance team.
• Ensure staff members adhere to established policies, procedures, and controls.
• Champions an EHS first mindset within the Maintenance Team and throughout the site.
• Participates in 24 hour on-call rotation with other professional technical personnel on site.
• Leads the budget setting process for the maintenance area
• Implements best work practices for scheduled outages
• Leads spare part management system for optimum reliability
• Leads preventative/predictive maintenance program
• Ensures RCI process is robust for improving mechanical reliability performance
• Accountable for Mechanical Integrity Program for the site
• Other duties as assigned by Plant Manager or Business Management Team.
• 8+ years in Chemical Manufacturing Setting required, 12+ years preferred. 3+ years of proven supervisory skills leading a team of professionals and skilled tradesmen required, 6+ years desirable. Previous experience within a polymer synthesis/manufacturing setting is desirable.
• Strong problem-solving, negotiation, accountability, and diplomacy skill is required.
• Strong knowledge of chemical process equipment and maintenance of such required.
• Background in OSHA, PSM, Mechanical Integrity, and Safety.
• Intermediate level skills at Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point. Experience with databases, statistical software and SAP preferred.
• BS in Engineering or related scientific/technical discipline required.
• Candidates with 20+ years’ experience in maintenance in a chemical/manufacturing environment with at least 8+ years of leadership experience may be considered without the above degree requirements.
• The position requires strong attention to detail, as well as the ability to sit in front of a computer.
• This position requires an employee to be in an office environment as well as exposed to some outside elements, process and warehouse environment.
• Employee must be able to wear PPE required by the location.
• General office noise may be experienced and louder sounds and vibrations when outside.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• All environments are safe with appropriate PPE.
• This position requires being on call.
• Some travel may be expected, primarily domestic.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without accommodations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, speak and hear. The employee is required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; the employee may be required, on occasion, to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may be required to climb ladders/storage tanks up to 50’ in height. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to thirty (30) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employee may be required to travel by air, rail, bus, or car.