Production, Plaquemine, Louisiana, USA
The Operations Leader has the overall responsibility for multi-shift Chemical Manufacturing Operations. This role has the responsibility to assist with setting objectives for the operations department and assuring that these objectives are met. These objectives include but are not limited to production volumes, quality, safety, inventory, customer satisfaction, Operational improvements, as well as meeting fiscal budgets. The Operations Leader is expected to lead, guide, coach, and hold his team responsible for accuracy in safety, quality, and performance.
Essential Job Functions
• Abides by all safety procedures and practices applicable to location and position; participates in appropriate safety training, demonstrated commitment to and support of EHS principles and values; champions safety as necessary.
• Ensure that employees within the department operate in accordance to health, safety and environmental regulations and procedures
• Ability to manage a department of up to 30 personnel with direct management responsibility for 4 shift supervisors and up to 6 additional support staff
• Drives Key Performance Metrics related to quality, productivity, and continuous improvement. Prepares and presents related reports as needed.
• Serve as a senior member of the Site Leadership Team
• Coordinate with other supporting and downstream departments (Maintenance, Quality, EHS, Logistics, Planning, Packaging, etc.)
• Create, maintain, and improve standard processes
• Execute Annual Operating Plan (AOP) in accordance with company goals
• Drive safety, quality, production, and Cost performance based on AOP
• Manage and validate production scheduling to maximize line efficiency while minimizing labor costs
• Communicate plan needs of the service groups to the needs of the operation area, including changeovers, preventative maintenance, waste, and material needs for the current and following production day
• Communicate and follow up on any quality or safety defects to all levels of the organization for prompt evaluation
• Coordinate work assignments for direct reports and ensure adequate work assignments for all operations employees
• Participate in planning meetings to evaluate future specs for process, staffing, and equipment requirements
• Establish production priorities, and revises schedule according to projects, work order specifications, availability and capability of employees, material, and equipment
• Maintain a high level of employee morale within the department. Address employee complaints and resolve concerns
• Responsible for two-way communication with management and employees.
• Develop, manage, and implement procedures and work instructions for all production related processing
• Participates in the interviewing and hiring process
• Ensures adequate training of operations staff
• Oversee operation’s employee compliance to organization’s policies and practices
• Lead continuous improvement activities within the operations department
• Mentors, coaches, motivates, establishes goals, and drives performance improvement within the Technology team.
• Ensure staff members adhere to established policies, procedures, and controls.
• Champions an EHS first mindset within the Technology Team and throughout the site.
• Participates in 24 hour on-call rotation with other professional technical personnel on site.
• Other duties as assigned by Plant Manager or Business Management Team.
BS in Engineering or related scientific/technical discipline required. Business Administration or Management Degrees considered if includes at least 15+ years’ experience in a chemical/manufacturing environment with at least 7+ years of leadership experience.
10+ years in Chemical Manufacturing Setting required, 15+ years preferred. 3+ years of proven supervisory skills leading a team of professionals and skilled operators required, 6+ years desirable. Previous experience leading an operations/production team in a polymer synthesis/manufacturing setting is strongly preferred.
Strong problem-solving, negotiation, accountability, and diplomacy skill is required.
Strong knowledge of process equipment and functions required.
Experience/Certification in 6 Sigma and/or Lean Methodologies is strongly desired.
Background in OSHA, PSM, Quality Methods and Safety.
Intermediate level skills at Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point. Experience with databases, statistical software and SAP preferred.
Background in OSHA, PSM/RMP, Quality Methods and Safety
-The position requires strong attention to detail, as well as the ability to sit in front of a computer.
-This position requires an employee to be in an office environment as well as exposed to some outside elements, process, and warehouse environment.
-Employee must be able to wear PPE required by the location.
-General office noise may be experienced and louder sounds and vibrations when outside.
-The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
-All environments are safe with appropriate PPE.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, speak and hear. The employee is required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; the employee may be required, on occasion, to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may be required to climb ladders/storage tanks up to 50’ in height. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to thirty (30) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employee may be required to travel by air, rail, bus, or car.