Process Control Engineer
Production, Plaquemine, Louisiana, USA
The engineer in this role is primarily responsible for maintaining the health and operability of the process controls systems. This includes implementing process automation improvements for programs and code logic. The position requires strong attention to detail, as well as the ability to sit in front of a computer for long periods of time going through complex codes.
Essential Job Functions
• In charge of the development of Process Control Strategy.
• Utilize troubleshooting techniques to identify the root cause of problem areas in DCS (Distributed Control System) and PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers) and Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS).
• Abides by all safety procedures and practices applicable to location and position; participates in appropriate safety training, demonstrated commitment to and support of EHS principles and values; champions safety as necessary.
• Update and implement control technology & process information improvements and capitalize on current best practices.
• Provide expertise in troubleshooting areas of control system to assure minimum impact on operations.
• Develop Process Control code and operator interfaces.
• Maintain backups for Process Control code and Graphic screens
• Add user accounts in a Windows Domain Controller environment
• Test written code and provide realistic demonstrations in all modes.
• Ensure the delivered product is user friendly and meets stakeholder needs.
• Conduct Training for applicable personnel on equipment.
• Ensure process control operating discipline is maintained and updated.
• Utilize available techniques and tools for optimizing plan process control systems and prevention of unplanned events.
• Conduct regular audits of process control system to insure safe operations. Present findings to management on a routine basis.
• Record and communicate information on work process deficiencies and improvements.
• Work with other functional disciplines to identify possible improvements in work process.
• Other duties as assigned by Technology Leader or Plant Manager.
• 5+ years in a chemical process environment with strong knowledge of basic process equipment and their functions required, 8+ preferred
• Experience in programming and maintaining a DCS system, including hardware maintenance, programming of controllers, and alarm management.
• Experience in executing process control projects
• Ability to read P&ID’s and instrument loops sheets.
• Experienced with PID controller tuning.
• Experienced in commissioning of new instrument and electrical systems/projects within a petrochemical process.
• Experienced in troubleshooting process and control issues in a fast-paced environment under periods of urgency.
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications, such as Word and Excel.
• Experience with networking (switches, firewalls)
Bachelor’s Degree in chemical or Electrical Engineering Required. Other Engineering Disciplines considered if significant experience with Controls in a Chemical Process Setting.
Knowledge in Honeywell distributed control systems is strongly preferred.
Safety – Executes all responsibilities with a Safety First mindset; Champions EHS principles and values
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed. Shares expertise with others.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management - Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
• The position requires strong attention to detail, as well as the ability to sit in front of a computer for long periods of time going through complex codes.
• This position requires an employee to be in an office environment as well as exposed to some outside elements; process and warehouse environment.
• This position requires working remotely and being on call.
• Employee must be able to wear PPE required by the location.
• General office noise may be experienced and louder sounds and vibrations when outside.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• All environments are safe with appropriate PPE.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without accommodations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, speak and hear. The employee is required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; the employee may be required, on occasion, to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may be required to climb ladders/storage tanks up to 50’ in height. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to thirty (30) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employee may be required to travel by air, rail, bus, or car.
It is TSRC Specialty Materials’ policy to employ and administer employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of Vietnam Era and in accordance with federal and state civil rights laws.