Senior Application Development Scientist
Research & Development, Houston, Texas, USA
The Senior Application Development Scientist position is primarily responsible for defining, leading and driving new application development projects that involves polymer compounding, formulation-property correlation, application testing, and production scale-up. The position is also responsible to explore all application opportunities for business growth.
• Initiate and lead new application development projects, ensure that projects & initiatives are completed on schedule and budget, meeting or exceeding the expectations.
• Design and conduct experiments to test, prove or modify the hypotheses and value propositions.
• Establish application process and special application test methods
• Review experimental data, provide a preliminary interpretation, and draw a conclusion. Proposes next steps and strategies of development efforts.
• Compose progress updates/reports and communicate regularly project status & timelines to leadership team, R&D group, and business teams.
• Independently present experimental results to internal/external customers or team members.
• Follow TSRC’s Innovation process, leverages the process to the highest standard, holds self and others accountable to deliver all necessary tasks within the process.
• Set personal goals & objectives, KPIs & plans in good alignment with BU and global R&D strategic goals & key initiatives each year.
• Support BU on strategic planning, market developments, regular project updates, key customer visits, conference & trade show attendance, technical service, and so on.
• Works with patent counsel to support patentability/infringement searches and preparation of patent applications. Maintain awareness of competitive technologies and intellectual properties.
• Establish contacts and networks with internal/external customers with limited guidance.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge in areas of responsibility, including client needs, latest technologies, and relevant scientific understanding in related areas.
• Understand the competitive environment and translate opportunities into development programs.
• Ensure a safe, secure, healthy, and environmentally friendly workplace.
• Reinforce TSRC values, business ethics & codes of conduct, and other principles of compliance.
• 5+ years’ experience in polymer application development
• 5+ years’ experience in formulation, compounding, testing and characterization of polymeric compound properties.
• Good understanding of the functions of each component of the compounds
• Good knowledge of common application process
• Experience in Design of Experiment (DOE).
• Ability to set goals & objectives and identify resources/processes necessary to accomplish them.
• Experience in multitask management.
• Strong experience in intellectual properties and patent applications.
Strong analytical and problem anticipation & solving skills.
Must be innovative, able to think outside the box, and be creative.
Ability to set goals & objectives and identify resources/processes necessary to accomplish them.
Self-starter, ability to work independently; highly self-motivated towards achieving goals & objectives; result-oriented and performance-driven.
Excellent interpersonal, verbal & written communication, and presentation skills; strong listening skills; ability to communicate effectively to a wide variety of audiences (internal & external).
Strong team spirit.
Flexibility, ability to travel domestically and internationally, and to attend global meetings outside regular work hours.
Fluency in oral and written English.
Intermediate level skills at Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Ph.D. degree in Polymer Science/Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or related subjects.
Travel on business up to 10% domestically and internationally, including Asian and Europe
This position requires an employee to work in a lab environment. There will be minor exposure to various chemicals and compounds, some of them hazardous and/or flammable. Employee must be able to wear PPE required by the location.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, speak and hear. The employee is required to stand (possibly for long periods of time), use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; the employee may be required, on occasion, to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee will be required to travel by air, rail, bus, and car (including rental cars).